Through the Gospels

Reading your Bible can be hard.  Not because it isn't a potentially great read, but it seems when you sit down to actually commit, everything in the world attempts to stop you.  I have been challenging my Jr. High guys to dig in and eat in the Word every day.  Though I preach at them to do it, I struggle with staying committed myself.  You probably do too.  So, I now have an accountability partner to help keep me on track in my devotional life.  I am going to attempt to share, not a whole blog, but just a simple thought from somewhere in my reading.  Forgive the grammatical errors, and at times, discontinued thoughts, but if you are reading, I hope you enjoy.  Maybe you will find something you never saw before.  Feel free to comment below and share with me!


As I was reading in Matthew chapter 1, the genealogies really started to bog me down.  At first, I thought, "Why are these even in the BIBLE?!"  Then a couple of names really stuck out to me.  Not the great mighty warrior, David.  Not kings, not patriarchs, but two women.  Rahab, a known prostitute of the city of Jericho.  One who had lived a life of sin, but in one move surrendered her life to the will of God.  One would think that the sparing of her life would be reward enough, but God saw otherwise.

One other lady, by the name of Ruth.  A foreigner.  She made the choice to follow her mother in law because she saw something in her, or her God, that she could not turn her back on.  She had every right to return to her father's house, and potentially find another husband of her native land, but she chose otherwise.  Her faith and obedience, and humble spirit merited the same reward as the harlot of Jericho.

THESE TWO, the most common, unsuspecting women, found themselves in the line of Jesus Christ!

THAT's why God placed this family line at the beginning of the New Testament.  To show me, that no matter where someone begins, what they look like,  or what everyone else thinks of them, God can do something extraordinary in their lives.  God uses plain old everyday people!

No comments:

Post a Comment