The Full Armor: "Take The Helmet"



“And take the helmet of salvation…”

One word jumped out at me in this piece of armor. I have probably read this passage at least one hundred times, but today I saw something I’ve never seen before. “Take.”


Twice in the verses preceding, the word “take” or “taking” has been used. That word, “analambano” means “to raise up, carry, or use.” That makes perfect sense considering the application of the former pieces. Each of the other pieces of armor are optional. We choose each day to put them on, take them up, and put them to use. But salvation does not work that way on a practical daily basis.


The word “take” here baffled me! So I pulled out my concordance only to realize it is an entirely different word! “Take the helmet of salvation…” Take, or “dechomai” means "to receive and take hold of.” BAM! There it is! I have received the helmet of salvation! I have taken hold of this gift, and no one can remove it from me!

My salvation rests atop my head. It shields the command center for my body in an assurance that dispels fear of injury. The helmet is the only piece of armor that provides 360 degrees of protection. Attack me from the front, push me from the side, or sneak up on me from behind, I don’t care! The enemy cannot control my thinking, unless I let them in my head.


There have been times where my faith has been weak. My unrighteousness has allowed sins darts to pierce my heart. I have run to hinder peace, and my movement hindered by untruth. In many ways, I have allowed the enemy access into different areas of my life. Those pieces of armor are personally developed, and daily strengthened. But this one…this one is different because it was a gift of the King. I do not own it. I did not make it. I cannot hide it. But I can trust it.

1 comment:

  1. Jon,

    What do you think about a link between the helmet of salvation and Romans 12:2? After all, Paul's argument in Romans is that the renewal of our minds is what brings about the process of salvific sanctification in the life of the Christian. We cannot trust our hearts, so the study of God's word for the renewing of the mind aligns our lives with Christ's purposes, maturing us and developing the will of Christ to become our own will.

    ReplyDelete