Limitless: Your Cross



Matthew 14:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

I always thought it was scary reading or hearing, "To follow Christ you have to give up everything." We're talking scared to death as a kid that God would call me to be a missionary in a hut village of Africa. I'm light skinned and red-headed. I love the outdoors, but the outdoors doesn't love me. Nightly prayers included, "Dear God, I want to want to follow you anywhere, but I'm scared to death. Please don't ask me to go to Africa."


Can I give the passage some context? Jesus is rebuking Peter in the verse prior for savoring the things of men instead of the things of God. In the verse following our text, Jesus asks what it would profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul. He is not implying that you will miss out on the comforts of technology or that you will be required to live in misery in order to be an effective witness. Jesus is challenging the disciples that in order to glorify God we must learn to deny ourselves. Not thinking less of ourself, but thinking of ourself less. Recognize that you surrender your selfish ambition to the will of God and where he leads.


We all have a different cross to bear. God's calling on our life, cross and all, are in complete alignment with the passion and personality he has created you with. Your cross will never be outside the context of God's calling. But now that we've breathed a sigh of relief, can I ask you a question? Are you willing to surrender everything? I'm not threatening that Christ will take it all away, I'm simply asking if you're willing to give it away if He asks.



It's all about perspective. I cannot lose what I've already lent to the Master.

#WeAreLimitless

No comments:

Post a Comment