Evangelism - for the win!

Evangelism...what a crazy word!  In different religious groups it could mean anything from an occupational traveler, to soul-winning, to riding your bikes to peoples houses, to passing out tracts...but what is it really?

I checked the dictionary, and really fell in love with some of its defining words:  preaching, promulgation of the gospel, missionary zeal, purpose, activity.  I love words!  So to read words like "zeal" and "purpose" as describers gets me excited! Evangelism is a zeal for purpose...specifically the purpose of the gospel!

The Bible speaks several times on the concept of "evangelism,"  and I want to highlight a couple of those.  Matthew 28:16-20 is referenced frequently in our church circles.  Jesus commands his disciples to GO.  This action word implies that we cannot fulfill this command without movement from our current location.  MAKE DISCIPLES.  This is tricky...because my pride wants to win 20 gazillion people to Jesus in a year by just passing out a paper with a few verses or simply inviting people to church.  "Make disciples" seems to indicate that after winning someone to Jesus,  I am responsible for helping along in their Christian Journey.  TEACHING...   WOW this is a hard one!  "I'm not a teacher. I don't like talking to people.  That's the pastor's job.  I'm uncomfortable speaking to people I don't know.  etc..."  So God says, "OK, yeah, you don't like to teach so you're off the hook!"   WRRROOONNNGG!!!  It seems to me that every believer is responsible to Go, Make, AND Teach...regardless of your insecurities.  The verses we referenced above are often called "The Great Commission."  I believe the word "great" not only implies the massive scale of importance that this commission holds, but also the burden of effort it will place upon us.

Life is Journey, and Christianity is a race.  We press toward the mark FOR THE PRIZE!  In 1 Corinthians 9:24, Paul challenges the church to "run that you may obtain the prize!"  I'm getting a mental image here of an Olympic athlete and his coach.  I'm not going to begin to attempt the recreation of the dialogue through the practices, but let's just imagine the coaches last words to his runner before he steps out on the track.  I just cannot imagine a coach saying "you know what, we're just here to have fun.  You go out there, and whatever happens, happens..."  Now, I've never been an Olympic runner,  but based off the coaches TV facial expressions they are saying something to effect of "get out there, work your hardest, stay focused, push yourself to the max, and bring home the gold."    So why is it that we take that first approach to evangelism?  Why have we slipped into a culture of "just go out and be nice to everyone and that's really the best you can do?"   Laziness?  Pride?  Worry?  Fear?  I really have no idea....but I do know that God hates that sort of attitude.  Paul writes under the Holy Spirit's inspiration that we are to run to obtain the prize.

This cross-country track is short.  We have a limited amount of effective time here on this earth to fulfill this Great Commission.  I have been guilty of spending all my time "stretching and warming up" right in the middle of the course where I should be running. Today I am challenged to run for the prize.  To do this, I must keep my eyes on the finish line and not get distracted with things around me.  God please give me one more soul before the end of this year! What's evangelism?  I believe it to be a purpose driven race, run with zeal, empowered by God, ending only at eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment