Professional Christians Still Go To Hell



For six summers in a row I have been involved in the leadership of multiple youth camps.  I saw it every week; each time a different spin on the same story, but Dillon's struck home with me. Dillon was a pastor's kid who had never known a time apart from church.  He held prominent positions across the board of his church ministry opportunities.  He was a leader among teens,  and respected by adults.  He said all the right things, and lived his life the right way.  But Dillon had a big problem. He was lost.

Gripping the back row with beads of sweat running down his face,  he stared intensely at the floor.  The sermon was not even about salvation, but a war was being raged in his heart and mind.  When the invitation was given,  as heads bowed,  I saw him sneak to the front and bow at the altar's far right edge, hoping no one would see.  After a few moments,  I followed with my Bible ready.  I kneeled down beside this body that was shaking violently, and after we exchanged stories and opened up the Scripture, Dillon accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior.  

Moments later he stood before a group of teens and said something like this:  "I've fought this for years, you know....Scared out of my mind that people would judge me or mock me.  I'm a preachers kid who everyone believes is saved.  As a little child I made a profession of faith.  I don't listen to the wrong music,  I don't go to the wrong places, and all in all I thought I had it under control....But tonight I confessed my sins and have invited Jesus to be my Lord and Savior...."

That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks, and I didn't hear another word he said.  All of a sudden my mind envisioned that Mark 10 passage of Scripture where stands the rich young ruler.  He is inquiring of Jesus how he might inherit eternal life.  In other words, "how can this thing be handed to me? (Inherit)  Jesus replies with the commandments, to which the rich young ruler says, "All of these have I observed from my youth."  Jesus said he lacked one thing.  "....come, take up thy cross and follow me."  

Dillon and this rich young ruler have a commonality with many lost "Christ followers."  They have made a PROFESSION of Faith.  No,  not a testimony in church;  rather, they have transformed their faith into a profession....a job.  Professional Christians.  Faith is not a job title or position you hold.  It is not about what you do, nor does what you say have any bearing upon faith's existence in your life. Many treat faith as a job by which they acquire through a professionally worded prayer application.  Serving Jesus is nothing more than routine because "it's what we are supposed to do."  It's our job. 

Romans 10:9 speaks of salvation coming by way of a confession.  Not to a man in a box.  To confess is to concede or acknowledge.  I need a Savior.  To own or admit truth.  Why? Because I am a sinner. And to acknowledge one's faith in and declare adherence to.  A relationship that is made public without fear.  (Matthew 10:32)

There are lost people every day who live by professions of faith.  Professions that are little more than a vocation that requires knowledge, who's body is engaged in an occupation.  They know, do, and say the right things:  a form of godliness.  But deny its power because their relationship is not genuine.  It is not a cross-bearing, Christ following, sell-everything, sold out life.  It's still all about the act.  

Could a stranger look at your life and know that you are confessing Christ?  Or would we find nothing more than a shallow professional?  What have you based your eternity on?  Professional Christians still die and go to hell.  What about you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment