Who Has The Missing Peace?



Puzzles are both a pleasant challenge and a nerve-wracking irritation.  Some people are big picture people, while others are in the details.  I'm both.  I vision cast for the broad future,  then dig into the details and begin to smooth out the mechanics of making things work one piece at a time.  Some call this ADHD or hyperactive and to those people all I have to say is.....OOO SHINY!!!! ....Wait, what were we talking about again?  -  At first I am content "big picturing" the edges together, but then all of a sudden, a few pieces jump out at me that I have to put together. Before I know it,  I have 10 different puzzles going all at the same time, trying to recreate the box's master plan.

Now I'm working on finagling large chunks around without breaking them because they belong in another place.  My puzzle is falling apart;  And what started as a relaxing recreational activity has now become determined stress and anxiety.  This climaxes only to find that there is one missing piece.  The piece that ties it all together..  You'd think it wouldn't matter with the 4,999 pieces that fit perfectly, but all attention is drawn to that missing one. It's kind of like that Tide® commercial where the stain screams so loud you can't hear the person wearing the shirt.  It's distracting. It doesn't look like the box. And it kills the big picture.

Whether you are a big picture person, or a master of detail you share a commonality with the rest of humanity.  One little problem can derail a life you thought you had all together.  Though everything else is going right,  all attention now shifts to the missing piece.  And now guess what's missing?  Peace.

Acts 27 shows us an entire ship of seasoned sailors who thought they had it all under control.  Big picture said that it was going to be easier to winter in a different location.  Detail folks thought they had found their purpose in some temporary good weather.  The ship was loaded,  and all was well until a storm came which shook their world.

Mark 4 shows us a ship of disciples who were living the dream.  Traveling from place to place with the very creator of the universe.  It doesn't get much better than that!  But one storm shook their faith as they cried out for help.  Though the Master of the wind lay aboard their ship,  one single storm drew their entire focus.

You have read about how Peter walked above the water at a later time, but a shift in his focus brought him below the storm.

Above each of these waters, we see a missing peace.  Maybe in your life,  everything seems to be piecing together,  but the absence of "peace" has brought you distress.  Can this puzzling perspective be remedied?  Can I find my missing peace?

Paul and Jesus both brought peace into perspective when they commanded it's presence.  Paul stood before a ship of scared men and ordered them to be of good cheer.  Jesus rebuked the storm and called for peace.  Peter's testimony affirms the fact that even amid the storms of life, peace within our heart is dependent upon a fixed focus on the Father, not our fears and failures. Peace is my choice.

My missing peace is found in the only one able to piece my life together.  When I was nothing more than a box of broken pieces,  Jesus "worked all of them together."  He sees the master plan.  When I feel like He is breaking me apart,  I can trust that he is shifting places into my life where they can fit together perfectly.  Within the borders of my life,  Jesus is piecing together a masterpiece of perfectly placed pieces.  I think I'll leave that up to him!

Who has the missing peace?  The keeper of the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment