Objects In Mirror



My grandpa put me in the church van when I was about ten years old,  started it up, and told me I’d be driving it around the church parking lot: loading and unloading items for the church work day.  This was far from the first time I had driven (thanks Aunt Jen),  but the first time I’d be by myself.  He pointed my attention to the side-view mirrors where was written, “Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.”  And with glasses in hand, and that look of wisdom in his eye he said, “Jon, you’ll think you have all the space in the world until your bumper is right upon the support beam for the tabernacle (outdoor pavilion)…don’t forget things are closer than they appear.”


With schedules gone crazy and not a second to spare, we’ve found ourselves glancing quickly in a mirror.  If everything looks okay,  we go about our way.  It's impossible to see the tiny flaws in our face or traffic swiftly approaching without pausing for a close inspection.  But let's be honest...who has the time?


In James 1:23-24 we find hearers of the word, not doers.  They’re likened unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.  


From a cocky ten year old driver who looked to the mirror but thought he had all the room in the world to correct his approach to the hurried working class who glance at their face and move on forgetting what they looked like:  We underestimate the closeness of the objects in the mirror.  "It's not that bad."  "I've got time."  "I think there's enough margin."  These excuses often become the death sentences of our lives and relationships.


God’s Word is a mirror.  When we truly reflect on it,  we realize the state of our natural man.  We’re disheveled by sin, and marked by laziness.  Sadly, most of us think we have time to correct.  The things I read don’t apply to me…YET.  I haven’t hit anything… I think I look okay. The things in God’s word don’t apply to me…yet.


Friends,  don’t live your life by “yet.”   Don’t hear without application.  Don’t listen without learning.  The objects in His mirror are closer than they appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment