What To Expect...



I pulled in the parking lot of the church, gathered my things and walked through the doors.  The greeters were great,  the people were friendly, and I was excited to preach to a packed house.  Being a young evangelist, I’m used to hilarious questions..that, or people have no clue I am the guest speaker that day.  So as this gentleman walked toward me, I was gearing up to give the most polite answer I could muster. 

He shook my hand, and with a smile on his face asked, “You’re new aren’t you?  Great to have you! Have you ever been to a church of this denomination before?”  “Yessir, I have,” I replied.  “Well GREAT!  Then I have one piece of advise for you about our worship experience….whatever you’re expecting…EXPECT IT!” 

I courtesy laughed at his joke, but conviction flooded my heart immediately.  What was I truly expecting from this worship experience?  When we walk through the doors of our church’s gather location,  what are we seeking?  Have we prayed for something specific?  Are our eyes searching for the movement of the Spirit? 

Scripture admonishes us regarding the church assembly in these passages:
- Psalm 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord.

-Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

- Matthew 18:20  For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

So, in light of what God says about His church, His presence, and our preparation,  here are a few things you can expect when you’re expecting: 

An Abundance of Joy in the People
When we are expecting a move of God,  we’re filled with joyful anticipation.  Go find any kid,  load them in the car and tell them you’re taking them to Chuck E. Cheese, McDonalds Playland, or better yet, DISNEY!  Now tell them to calm down and stay completely quiet…DON’T SMILE!  Impossible.   I think the reason we can’t truly smile or exude joy at any level on Sunday morning is because we have lost sight of what church can/could be like.

Praise & Worship From The Overflow
I’ve spent over a decade of my life directly involved with the planning or execution of the worship experience.  When people’s perspective is off,  it takes at least three or four songs to get them in the right mindset,  and just about the time you arrive at that place, it’s time to stop.  There were some Sundays where we would do one or two songs before the sermon, and then three or four after the sermon.  It was amazing to watch people praise differently after being at the altar.  Expectant people don’t require acceleration time.  Their praise and worship is from the overflow of what has already been taking place in their life throughout the week.  It’s the difference between a recharge and a jumpstart. 

Actively Discipling and Inviting
Typically when you tell your kids about said exciting places listed above,  first question will be, “MOM!  CAN MY FRIEND GO?!”  While Disney tickets may cost $200 a pop, hindering your caravan of friends from coming along, the happiest place on earth (the presence of Jesus)  has NO ticket price!  Expectant people have experienced the presence of God, and they can’t settle for anything less.  They understand it’s power and are actively inviting people to experience.  Not only that,  as a result of His presence and power,  they’re discipling others to walk in it as well.

God Is On The Move

The focus of the verse is not the gathering, but the intent.  Those who expect a move of God, gathered in HIS name, will experience that very promise. You’ll always find what you’re looking for, and those who seek the Lord will doubtless find him.  Whatever you’re expecting…expect it!  If you’re expecting the same old numb experience…well that’s what you’ll have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment