Video Challenge: Day 16 - Shortcuts

Man:  "I'm thinking maybe..."
God:  "Your thoughts are not my thoughts."
Man:  "If we went another way.."
God:  "Your ways are not my ways."

At age 15 I took off to work for the summer at Camp Victory.  This place changed my life, and began to shape who I am today.  If you know me, you know I am a people watcher, and camp provided me an outlet for my hobby.  One guy I loved to watch was named Robert, the king of shortcuts.  Dr. Griffis had given Robert charge of collecting some guys to transport a large water tank from the top of the hill to down by the gymnasium during the morning service.  As I sat at the piano singing "The Lighthouse" all of a sudden I saw a large water tank rolling down the hill past the tabernacle with Robert and three guys chasing after it.  Robert saw a "shortcut" of rolling the tank, and ended up creating MORE work for himself and the others by having to chase it down and carry it back to its destination after damaging the tank.

In the book of Genesis, God reveals to Abraham that he and his wife will indeed bear a son, and begin a chosen nation.  Impatiently, Abraham's wife pushes her servant, Hagar on her husband to help fulfill the prophecy and promise of God.  Mutually they decided to take this shortcut instead of just following and patiently waiting on God.  Hagar bears a son, but not the chosen seed of God.  Instead, this shortcut produces an eternal enemy of the chosen people of God.

God has placed a call on our lives.  To each of us he has given a purpose, and he unfolds his plan.  But, how many times do we say, "God, lets take a shortcut."  Sometimes the road ahead looks so long and trying.  At times, we cannot even see the next step and we must blindly trust God.  From someone who has been there, I beg you, do not take the "shortcuts" no matter how easy they look!  God's ways are not our ways.  God's thoughts are not our thoughts.  He is the almighty, all-knowing God, and we are children seeking direction.  To realize who He is, we must realize who we are.

1 comment:

  1. When we allow God to take control of our lives, victory ensues. However, when we try to take control of our lives, then we end up making a mess of things!

    ReplyDelete