A Thought On Prayer:

I was reading today on prayer, and a thought really got my attention.  When we pray, we generally take the Mary and Martha approach.  "God if you had been here four days ago, Lazarus wouldn't have died!"  We tell God what we think he should do, and when we think he should do it.

I heard someone pray not too long ago, "God, I know that this [thing] is going to happen and that you have made that very clear...but God....it's just too soon!  I'm not ready!  The people around me aren't ready!"  The man went on to leverage his authority, preferences, and family over the ultimate hand of God.  He even went so far as to question God's leading in the lives of other individuals who were about to make a serious move.

The article I read in correlation with the situation I witnessed scares me to death, because I have done the same thing!  I have even used the authority God has given me to sway people from following God EXACTLY how He wanted them to just because I didn't feel it was the best thing for them or me.

Today I changed the way I pray.  I will continue to let my "requests be made known unto God,"  but now I will change my approach.  "God here are the things I want,  here are the things I think I need, and here is how I think it would be done best...but God,  you're all powerful, all knowing, and all present...so if you decide to lead me and others in a direction contrary to what I (as a student, employee, friend, or even parent) think is best, then change my heart, and prepare me for what you have in store."

Friend, YOU are going to have to ditch your pride, and ALWAYS be ready to admit that you could be wrong.  Even if EVERY sign points in your direction, be humble enough to let God decide and NOT you.  No matter who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment