The Problem with Phillippian Philosophy

As a musician, envy and jealousy tempt me daily.  I can remember when I first went on staff at a church as a worship leader/keyboard player I immersed  myself in piano music.  No matter the genre or content, I was constantly mimicking new licks and styles from those I would listen to.  At my first staff position, there was the traditional offertory that took place during the offering every Sunday morning that I was required to play.  So, I would log on to YouTube through the week, search out new arrangements of old songs, and practice until I thought I was identical.  Then as I would play them on Sunday morning, I could hear the difference in skill level and technique come out in my playing.  This discouraged me to the point where I started turning down playing opportunities in other venues.  Especially when I knew a superior piano player would be in the crowd.  This "Phillippian Philosophy" that I adopted as my own not only kept me from reaching my full potential, but it overworked those who were already skilled to the point of burning them out...just because I thought they should do it.

In Phillippians chapter one, we find Paul writing from prison.  Even the new believer recognizes Paul as the greatest missionary of all history.  This man was used by God to write a good majority of the New Testament, plant churches throughout a continent, train pastors, and win countless souls to Christ through his ministry.  To contrast Paul's ministry with any ministry past or present, and find an equal would be near impossible, save the ministry of Jesus Christ.  In his day, people literally fought over the fact that they had been converted under Paul's ministry.  As the average "Christian" of Paul's day compared their lives to Paul's ministry, it seems they became discouraged.  Instead of stepping up and taking over the ministries they had been given, they sat idle and watched the ministry superstar work for God.

Paul writes, "the things which have happened to me have fallen out rather to the furtherance of the gospel."  In essence,  God had to place Paul in prison to get the church on their feet and moving to spread the gospel, instead of leaving it all up to Paul.  Paul writes, "many brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear."  While this statement was inspired by God, and therefore true, I cannot help but wonder how much further the gospel could have spread with the church on their feet, AND Paul doing his ministry.

II Timothy 3:14 says, "But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing OF WHOM thou hast learned them."  This verse presents a challenge to the present day believer.  Consider your mentor in the ministry.  Call your pastor to mind.  Think about your Christian mentors who trained you up in the values you call your own now.  The Word says to continue faithfully in the things you have learned, but not even just that;  the things you have been ASSURED of.  You know, those things God has proven to you over and over and over again!

Today, my challenge to myself is to live faithful to my calling.  To step up to the plate and do what God has given me to do.  First, because I have learned what is right.  Second, because God has assured me that it is true.  Thirdly,  because I remember the men who taught me...and I don't want to lose them.  If we as Timothy's don't step up and do,  we may lose our Paul's "for the furtherance of the gospel."  Don't make God take our spiritual leaders away just to get us to do what we already know is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment