Camp Revolution: Day of the Dead

Day Two of the Camp Revolution Experience.  I have to say that while those beds were not perfect, I definitely slept like a baby....woke up every two hours and cried.  ;)  Nah..I'm just kidding...all my middle school guys slept extremely hard! Being the vigilant sponsor that I am, I stayed up until the rustling of crazy middle school boys died.  So, I definitely didn't get as much sleep as they did, and I most certainly did not want to wake up this morning!  Running on minimal sleep, we all began Day Two, The Day of the Dead.

If you're a parent and you are worried about your kids eating well, let me put your worries to rest and tell you...THEY DEFINITELY ARE!  To put it in perspective,  Rob Robinson actually got seconds on a salad today.  A SALAD!?!?  I feel like a good majority of our time has been spent in the dining common, but it has been time well spent.  Between bites of delicious food we have enjoyed some time of discipleship, and extreme laughter!  I love these guys!

Today our teens learned how to work together with others in multiples of ways.  The water relays were the best source of comic relief today.  From navigating a slippery tarp riding a pool noodle, to filling gallon buckets with car wash sponges, it was a hilarious time!  Our squads then moved on to an exercise where they had to build a functional bridge using four concrete blocks and two, two by fours.  Though my squad did not win,  we connected in a great way and were able to derive some spiritual truths from this time.  To wrap it up:  Communicate, plan your work, and work your plan....oh and don't pretend to know everything. - That was the biggest struggle for some kids in my squad.

Honestly, I could spend two blogs talking about the quality of the physical food here,  but I could write a book on the spiritual food we have been afforded so far.  It is hard to believe we are just a little over 24 hours into our camp experience and have already been fed 3 OUTSTANDING meals.  This morning we dove into understanding world religion, and how it has impacted "Christianity."  We were challenged by the fact that many Hindu's view Americans as having more gods than they do.

The evening service was great as well.  Through the story of Joseph's sons, and Joseph's father, Israel we listened as Pastor Donnie explained how God the Father has preferred us and blessed us. We also took a look at the things that keep us from a perfect relationship with the Father.  Last night we looked at "Having an Encounter with God,"  and today we received a word of "Realizing What God has Done."  Our small group time following the service proved to be fruitful and engaging.  I'm so thankful for some teens that are sincere about discovering God's will and plan for their lives.

We wrapped the evening up with Glow in the Dark Frisbee,  "Tacky Prom,"  "Quest Games," and just hangin' at The Oasis.  Be sure and ask your student what they participated in!  I'm listening now to my favorite sound in the world...NOTHING! That means I get to head on to bed in the extreme near future.

I hope this post finds you doing well.  Crossroads, we miss you, but be ready for a revolution and revival when our youth comes home to set the church on fire!  ....That is, if they aren't asleep from exhaustion. ;)"

1 comment:

  1. Jon thanks for taking time to post about camp. It helps to know what our kids are experiencing and how to pray for everyone!

    ReplyDelete