Video Challenge: Day 18 - Try Me

Man: "I just...nevermind."
God: "What?"
Man:  "You wouldn't understand!"
God: "I, God - creator of the universe wouldn't understand something one of my children has to say?  Try me."

Experience, emotional, and generational gaps separate our lines of understanding.  Parents look at their children and say, "you just can't understand."  In the same manner, there is not a teen who has not said or thought, "my parents just don't understand me."  Both sides of this equation criticize the other.  Both sides of this equation find reasons as to why their side deserves sympathy.  Both sides are wrong.

Society and culture changes drastically on a consistent basis.  Temptations and pressures that the youth of today face are exponentially more difficult than that of ten years ago, much less twenty to thirty.  Parenting styles have had to adapt to the times, to accommodate and relate to American culture.  To be brutally honest:  Teen, cut your parents some slack...because you don't get it all.  Parent, cut your teen some slack because guess what...you don't get it all either.  That is going to be hard for some of you to stomach because it requires losing some of your pride.

What then allows us to connect?  What source can we tap, to find solutions to "new" problems?  Do we have a common denominator to cross generational lines?  The answer is YES!  Hebrews 4:15 says that we do not have a high priest who cannot be touched with the feelings of our infirmities, but was in ALL points tempted like we are, yet without sin.  On what ground can parents communicate answers to children, and children to parents?  JESUS.  He crosses any boundary line.

I have one BEST FRIEND in the world, who will be my best friend until the day we die.  I can talk to her about ANYTHING without fear of her passing judgement, and when she doesn't understand something I am going through, she points me to Jesus.  I hope that I can be that same influence in her life.  Jesus says he can emotionally and physically relate to anything we are going through.  God and creator of all the universe, our heavenly father will ALWAYS understand.  When no one else can, try Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment