Video Challenge Day 1: A Realization

I was given a challenge:  to watch the Skit Guys "God's Chisel"  every day for one month.  At first, this sounds like a simple challenge, but when you pay attention to this simple video, something different will jump out at you every time.

Man:  "Ephesians 2:10 says that we are God's workmanship, and in essence, his masterpiece.  I don't know about you, but when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror, I don't see a masterpiece..you know..maybe a Picasso!  But, I want to be a masterpiece.  I want to be everything that God has created me to be, so I go to him in prayer, and I say, "God do whatever it takes to get things out of my life that don't need to be there.  Mold me into the image of your Son so that I can be your masterpiece."

It is human nature, given by God, to search for and appreciate beauty.  We admire great works of architecture, sculpture, and paint.  As children, we took a blank piece of paper and expressed our imagination by creating beauty with crayons.  Then we reached that time in our lives where we started to see the beauty in other people. Accompanying this new found fascination came the desperate desire for someone else to see beauty in us.  Girls begin applying makeup, and dressing differently.  Guys actually started doing their hair, working out, and wearing cologne...all of this with the hope that we would catch that one persons eye.

At some point we have each looked in the mirror and thought, "Oh, how I wish I looked like THEM."  We have added, "I just wish I didn't have this particular feature."  "Why can't I get rid of this acne, be a little taller, and have a deeper voice!?"  Ultimately, we have said, "I. am. ugly."  How quickly we forget that God says before HE FORMED us in the womb, HE KNEW US! (Jeremiah 1:5)  Psalm 139:14 reminds us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made.  God looked at his creation in Genesis 1 and saw that it was GOOD! We spend more time reflecting on our physical appearance than we do the reflection of our heart. As we examine our physical mirror, let us realize that to criticize and tear down ourselves is to criticize and question our very creator.

There is one other mirror we must examine, for this is the reflection that God sees.  This mirror is God's Word.  Here we will find the potential for a spiritual masterpiece. God began a good work on a fresh canvas the day we accepted him as Savior.  But as humans tend to do, we thought we could mold and paint a little better than the creator.  So we took the stool.  We snatched the artist's brush.  We knocked the chisel from his very hand, and began to control how our piece would turn out.  It is at this point that we find ourselves, for this is where our journey will begin.  

A Realization:  God created me this way ON PURPOSE. However, I am not spiritually what I should be, but I want to be.  So now, I ask God to take his place as the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment