Video Challenge Day 11: Playing God


God:
"...you and others need to see my son."

Man: " Ok, hold on...don't take this the wrong way, it's just that when I start looking more like your Son people get uncomfortable around me. I mean even my friends at church are like 'oh you're holier than thou! Why won't you do that?"
God:  "What you're doing right now is you'd rather PLAY God in certain areas of your life than for me to BE GOD over your whole life."


I have always loved kids, and while I know you're not supposed to have favorites...I do.  I love ages 3 to 7, and then middle schoolers.  People usually look at me funny and ask why in the world THOSE ages!?  Honestly, I like them for pretty similar reasons...one of which is imagination!  Since I was a little kid I've always had a creative personality.  I used to pretend I was some "king" ruling a country.  At times I even convinced other kids in McDonalds playland that I owned it, and made them my subjects.  I acted out every part of what being a king was like, almost as if I assumed that characters personality and I was no longer me. So to meet a kid who is like me really makes me feel like a kid again!  One of my favorites is the little girl seen in the picture. She has been a super hero, princess, and bank owner.  Ask her for her name, and she will give you the one of the character she is currently playing, while maintaining her character for an entire day!

In America, our lives are largely based on media and appearances. Our youth and young adults are infamous for modeling their lives after television stars who are modeling their screen life after a script!  Kids want to be actors, and the stage has been portrayed as a lifestyle for so long that it has taken over some people minds.  People are so lost trying to discover THEIR OWN identity!  This mindset has carried over into our Christianity!  Technology, science, and media has told us that we don't need God.  We're all "good Christians" so we know that's not true....instead we PLAY God in certain areas of our life...just like a little kid playing dress up.  The thought of being ourselves and possibly losing a "friend" so freaks us out that turn God off.  We are trying to shape our own masterpiece instead of letting the ultimate artist do it.

"I am fearfully and wonderfully made.."  "Made" in that verse is a present tense word.  A continual, present making of God.  He still longs to work on me and make me into his likeness if I will let him.  Stop playing dress up!  Let God be God.  Sure, the "new you" will scare some people away, because your originality will convict them of their hypocrisy.  People don't have a problem with you. They have a problem with God.  I'd rather follow God's script for my life, than to live by the generic script of the world.  So ask yourself, is this really you, or are you acting?

No comments:

Post a Comment