Video Challenge Day 10: Mirror Madness!

Man:  Wait wait wait...ummm.. maybe we could take a little time out.  I mean, I think I'm doing pretty good!
God:  You are doing good, but when you look in the mirror, who do you see?
Man: I see me!!!
God: Ok, then I need to keep chiseling away, because ultimately you and others need to see my son. Here we go!

What is your response when you look in the mirror first thing in the morning after you wake up?  I would venture to guess that most of you say something along the lines of "GROSS!"  Our hair is disheveled, our eyes are filled with sleep.  Dark circles surround our eyelids.  The list could go on and on...  Now, after viewing that image, how many of you shrug your shoulders and walk away?  NONE!  A mirror is defined as something that gives a faithful representation of an image.  It reflects what is truly there, not what we imagine ourselves as.  To correct that image requires work.

Science tells us that a mirror is an object that reflects light with little to no diffusion.  Meaning, the light maintains its brightness and purity, just as if it was coming from the source.  I know that a scientific dictionary isn't the Bible, but that definition convicted me!  When people look at me, I should reflect God's light so vividly, that it is almost as bright as if it were Jesus.

The lyrics of "Look Like You," a song by the Stevens Family read, "When I look in the mirror, I don't always like what I see.  An imperfect person (woman) is staring right back at me...Lord we want to look like you"  We are guilty of being like that man in James 1 who is just a hearer of the word and not a doer. He looks at his natural face in the mirror, and leaves not caring what he looked like.  We don't apply the principles of Scripture, and as a result we get discouraged and disheveled.  We desire so desperately to reflect the image we have imagined for ourselves, or the image of another person who in our minds, looks better than us.  God does not create copied masterpieces.  He personally designs individual, unique vessels.  Each for a different purpose.  Stop trying to fit yourself into the mold of one of his other creations! That doesn't make you better!  It makes you bitter.

"I look so stupid.  Why am I shaped like this?  I wish I were different.  Why has my life been molded in this pattern?  Why can't I be... why? Why? Why?" STOP!!!!  My canvas may not be as colorful, elaborate, or celebrated as someone else's.  I'm ok with that so long as when someone see's me, there is no doubt as to who the artist is.  Be a 'doer' of the Word, so that when you and others see you...they don't.  You are fulfilling your purpose if Jesus is mirrored in every detail of your life.  Is he?

1 comment:

  1. Great points! It causes way too much stress if I try to step out of God's plan and try to be someone God hasn't built me to be. Yes, we should all reflect Jesus when we look in the mirror! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete